U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth “hid” how Iran had destroyed much of the main resupply base for the U.S. military in the Middle East, according to MS Now, as concerns grow about the conditions faced by sailors on board USS Abraham Lincoln.

The network’s senior national security reporter David Rohde made the claim about the aircraft carrier, which, according to The New York Times, has faced supply problems since Iranian strikes hit the logistics hub Naval Support Activity Bahrain at the start of the war.

During a segment in MS Now discussing President Donald Trump’s dismissal of reports of low morale and the mental health concerns of those aboard the carrier during an unusually long deployment, Rohde said the resupply issue was “because Pete Hegseth hid the fact that Iran destroyed the main resupply base that the United States has in the Gulf.”

Relatives of the 5,000 personnel on board the Lincoln have raised the alarm over supply shortages, long work schedules and potential for self-harm.

  • Lushed_Lungfish@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    5
    ·
    10 hours ago

    What do you mean hid? Anyone with an inkling of knowledge in naval affairs knew these bastards were fucked.

  • MrSulu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    3
    ·
    11 hours ago

    It’s almost like he’s completely shit at his job. or anything meaningful.

  • Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    5
    ·
    14 hours ago

    Earlier this month, the wife of a sailor on board the vessel told MS Now about her fears for her spouse after he jumped from the vessel on August 3 before he was rescued after being in the water for about an hour. The woman, who was granted anonymity, told the outlet, “I think that it was handled very poorly because they didn’t inform me and they didn’t want me to know."

    . . . It comes as the U.S. Navy admitted that its USS Benfold destroyer had been without power for four days after a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean on July 24. The 300-strong crew went without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets and air conditioning, Navy spokesman Commander Matthew Comer said in a statement.

    • pelespirit@sh.itjust.worksOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      5
      ·
      10 hours ago

      I agree, it’s really bad. The immigrants and US citizens getting deported have it worse. We’re a fucked up country right now.

      On Monday, Democratic Representative Mike Levin of California said on social media that sailors on the Lincoln didn’t have basic hygiene supplies, only access to moldy showers and broken toilets and often didn’t have hot water or enough food.

    • mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      3
      ·
      13 hours ago

      USS Benfold’s Five

      dooo de doo doo doooo dooooo doooo - in some ways, this is the US’s battle of who could care less

      • zarathustrad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        3
        ·
        12 hours ago

        Well, I thought about the Navy…

        In this time of introspection

        On the eve of my election

        I say to my reflection

        God, please spare me more rejection

        'Cause my peers they criticize me

        And my ex-wives all despise me

        Try to put it all behind me

        But my redneck past is nipping at my heels

        I’ve been thinking a lot today